Even though Ava is almost 16 months old, she has a way with kidnapping peoples attention. She takes it and doesn't let go. A few weeks ago I took her to the grocery store with me. Usually she stays home with Rory but he wasn't feeling well, so we had a little mother/daughter outing. I got her all ready to go, grabbed my coupon binder and out the door we headed. As soon as we park and I get her out of the car she is saying "hiiii" to everybody that will look at her. One can't help but grin a little and smile back. I make it to the ad carousel and she's carrying on her own conversation with the woman standing next to me. Thank goodness this lady was understand and she just chatted away right back at Ava. She makes friends with everybody and it doesn't matter where we go. I finally made it down the second aisle in the grocery store with a quiet daughter and began to focus on my coupons when all of a sudden I hear "STOP MOOOOOM, THERE'S AVA!" I look over my shoulder behind me to see if there's another child with the coincidance that their name is Ava. Nobody is behind me. I look at the mother and smile. I introduced myself, as did she. Her daughter goes to school with Ava, and apparently loves her to death. When people ask the little girl if she has a brother or sister, so says "yes, her name is Ava." (When I came home I asked Rory was there something I need to know about...joking)
Ava has a way with people...that's just her...that's just how she is.
So. Anyways. Rory worked late last night. I decided that Ava and I would do another mother/daughter outing, so I took her to Chik-Fil-A for dinner. As soon as we walk in, I notice this somewhat creepy looking possibly homeless man. I hate to judge but I can't help but be aware of my surroundings. This guy kinda creeped me out, but I keep walking to the register to order our food. Not even 5 seconds after I notice this man I hear "Hiiii Ava." My heart started racing and all I could think is...holy cannoli who is this creepo and how does he know my daughters name. His daughter goes to school with Ava as well. I was informed he had been off of work for a few days and "let himself go," he's typically not that scruffy looking. Until I'm proven otherwise, he looked creepy! Looks like I need to be more social with introductions when dropping Ava off and picking her up.
This is a fact now...I'm now known around town as "Ava's Mommy" and Rory is "Ava's Daddy." I mean it's no secret, right...it's just that I've realized that is our new identity and I will continue to embrace! Rory and I discussed this morning the situation when you're in school and you have a really popular or unpopular sibling, and you become "so and so's brother/sister." God forbid somebody call you YOUR name. I was usually "Wally's sister." Apparently Shannon, Ava's Uncle, was "Rory's little brother" at their high school. Shannon...that's just what Rory said...he kind of said it in a bragging way like he was a star at school...you might wanna talk to him about that ;)
Does this worry me a little as a parent? Of course it does. My daughter makes friends with anybody and people are just drawn to her. I continue to whisper in her ear when people walk up to her "stranger danger." lol. I mean it's not funny, but in some ways it is. She doesn't know better but one day she'll be aware of the fact...you can't socialize with just anybody out there because you don't know who they might be and what they might be capable of.
Ava has a way with people...that's just her...that's just how she is.
So. Anyways. Rory worked late last night. I decided that Ava and I would do another mother/daughter outing, so I took her to Chik-Fil-A for dinner. As soon as we walk in, I notice this somewhat creepy looking possibly homeless man. I hate to judge but I can't help but be aware of my surroundings. This guy kinda creeped me out, but I keep walking to the register to order our food. Not even 5 seconds after I notice this man I hear "Hiiii Ava." My heart started racing and all I could think is...holy cannoli who is this creepo and how does he know my daughters name. His daughter goes to school with Ava as well. I was informed he had been off of work for a few days and "let himself go," he's typically not that scruffy looking. Until I'm proven otherwise, he looked creepy! Looks like I need to be more social with introductions when dropping Ava off and picking her up.
This is a fact now...I'm now known around town as "Ava's Mommy" and Rory is "Ava's Daddy." I mean it's no secret, right...it's just that I've realized that is our new identity and I will continue to embrace! Rory and I discussed this morning the situation when you're in school and you have a really popular or unpopular sibling, and you become "so and so's brother/sister." God forbid somebody call you YOUR name. I was usually "Wally's sister." Apparently Shannon, Ava's Uncle, was "Rory's little brother" at their high school. Shannon...that's just what Rory said...he kind of said it in a bragging way like he was a star at school...you might wanna talk to him about that ;)
Does this worry me a little as a parent? Of course it does. My daughter makes friends with anybody and people are just drawn to her. I continue to whisper in her ear when people walk up to her "stranger danger." lol. I mean it's not funny, but in some ways it is. She doesn't know better but one day she'll be aware of the fact...you can't socialize with just anybody out there because you don't know who they might be and what they might be capable of.
I'm proud to be known as "Ava's Mommy"...
I hope one day she's just as proud to be "Mommy's Ava!"
I hope one day she's just as proud to be "Mommy's Ava!"
No comments:
Post a Comment