Friday, October 24, 2008

A few thoughts...

So, I thought I'd write about a few different things tonight. Some serious, some silly, and some "whatevers."

So, lately I've been feeling like every week at work is like a boxing match. Each day is a different round and we may come out on top or we may get knocked down, but either way we continue the fight until 5:oo pm on Friday. At least at that time we usually get to take a little break for a couple of days until the next match on Monday morning. Sometimes, the weeks are hard. This one was...well it wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst. I did, however, find my "inspiration" book that I've kept since I was about 13 or so. I opened it up and the first thing I came to was the poem "IF" by Rudyard Kipling. I read it again and thought about a lot of things. First off, I thought about the fact that it was the first poem I'd ever liked and that my Dad gave it to me. Second, I thought about how every line of it seemed to apply to how things have gone over the last few months, years, etc. From the "truth I've spoken, twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools" to "making one heap of all your winnings and risk on a game of pitch and toss" -it was all there. To read it again helped me today. Does it fix everything? No, of course not. But it does inspire me to "fight the good fight" and be ready for whatever the next week brings.

Ok, so some less serious things. First let me tell you about Ava tonight. Danielle was on the couch and I was rubbing her feet a little and then Ava started to grab at her feet too. We took mom's socks off and Ava proceeded to act sweet and rub her feet. It was then that she felt the need to blow her nose on her mother's feet....multiple times. Danielle didn't seem to think it was all that funny, but Ava and I had a good laugh about it. I mean, at least she's learned to blow her nose! Maybe she can transition to a kleenex next time, but mom's foot it a good start I would imagine.

Let's see, oh yes, I forgot. I finally saw the infomercial for "Baby Can Read." Needless to say, I was quite amazed. Although I have a few questions as to how well it would work, the competitive side of me says, "my kid can do that!" So you never know....Ava could be writing the next blog. haha.

Finally, I must address the "Cheetah Girl" comment made by Danielle on the last blog. First let me set the scene. Last Saturday, we went to see a movie after we dropped Ava at the babysitter's house. The movie didn't start for a while so we went to buy Ava a new pair of shoes. While we were in line, two young girls (maybe 6 or 7 years old) were pestering their mother about buying something at the store. The mom replied that they could get something only if it was $1. Meanwhile, big mama is buying things that she probably doesn't need and sporting her bluetooth earpiece and ignoring her children. So the little girls then start ripping through everything they find interesting hoping that it will be a dollar. The last thing I can remember that I bought for under a dollar was some bubble gum for Danielle today! So one of the little girls is looking through pairs of socks with "Cheetah Girl" on them and loudly offers her prayer to the pricing Gods of "OOO Cheetah Girl, pleeeese be a dolla!!!" It was sad and funny, but that's the story behind it. After we left the store, Danielle vowed that would be her new tag line. It's kind of an inside joke (well maybe not now that I've explained it) but it always brings a smile to her face and mine and reminds of us of some good quality date time together.

Oh, last thing! My prediction for the World Series is the Tampa Bay Rays will win in 6 games. For you non-sports fans out there...the World Series determines the Major League Baseball champions. Tampa Bay is a city in Florida. The Rays is the name of the team (used to be Devil Rays). The winner must win 4 out of 7 games to win the championship. There...that should be clear enough....haha.

Alright, well, I'll sign off for the night. Have a good weekend and I'll try to share the blog load a little more from now on.

Rory

No comments: