Friday, January 2, 2009

Mexican Mama

Ava is apparently a die hard Tex-Mex food fan! Last night for dinner I made burritos and we also had chips and salsa. She has begun some weird obsession with dipping things in sauce. Like chicken tenders in ranch, fries in ketchup, chips in salsa. You get the drift don't you?

Not only was this child dipping her chips in salsa, she pulled a Ryan.

Let me explain.

Ryan is my younger brother. When we lived in Buffalo, NY we had this chip dip called "Bison Chip Dip." It is your basic french onion dip. Wait. I take that back. It tastes nothing like the oh so common sour cream french onion flavored generic chip dip...it tastes 100x's better! Everybody in my family loves this chip dip, you just don't understand. Ryan especially LOVES this dip. When we moved away from Buffalo and family would come visit, we would all try to get our hands on a container of the dip and ration it. You never knew when you'd get a chance to eat more so you also made sure to save some for later. Ryan on the other hand...he would get the largest spoon in the house he could find, grab a container of the dip and eat it by the spoonful! His container never lasted long. As a matter of fact, he was done with all of it in about 4 spoonfuls. If you timed it on a stop watch he could probably finish it off in...3.2 seconds.

Good Memories...which brings me to last night.

Now that you understand a little better about Ryan, maybe you are starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together. For those of you who are up extremely late reading this and are just as delirious as I am, let me explain in more detail.

Close your eyes okay. Picture this...Ava took her spoon and pulled her bowl of salsa closer to her. She ditched the chips and decided to do this love affair solo. Just her and her bowl of "dip." She took her spoon and was feeding herself SCOOPS of salsa. No joke! It was absolutely disgusting and might I add...painful to watch. I cannot imagine the heartburn this child had last night. Now that I think about it, that might be the reason she woke up crying a few times. I'm not that bad of a mom. I didn't let her eat the whole entire bowl of it. Okay, she might as well have because there was only about one more spoonful left. She was so happy and content though. I just couldn't take it from her.

All I can say is thank the Lord Ava has a love for Mexican food! I just didn't know she loved it that much.

My Mommy lesson of the week: "give your children salsa in moderation," otherwise it could make for a loooong night.

No comments: